Thursday, March 5, 2015

Two Types

There typically tend to be two types of reactions people elicit when I tell them I’m building a kit car in my less than ideal two car suburban garage.  Those that get it and those that ask questions in an attempt to get it.  I suppose that is true of most things.  I have friends and coworkers who have stopped trying to explain to me the virtues of golf.  I just don’t get it.  I get the idea of it, but I don’t get it.  They used to talk to me about the specifics of the game and the talent and patience required in putting together a good round.  I would always conclude the conversation with “well, at least you are getting some good exercise” to which they would say “actually, we’re usually drive golf carts” to which I would reply “oh”. 

I understand not getting it.  Taking a perfectly good car apart and using its bits to assemble a different car isn’t for everyone.  Much in the way chasing a small white ball over acres of land in an attempt to get it into an almost equally small cup isn’t for everyone.  It’s kind of funny how I go about the conversations though.  When I tell a car person about the kit car I’m building I immediately go into justification mode.  I tell them while the kit car, which when completed, won’t have doors or windows or a roof it will actually be more practical and useful than the car it components came from (no really, it will).  I tell them how I will drive it more often than the track only car that used to own its spot in the garage.  I tell them about selling parts to subsidize the build cost and how all the parts I don’t sell will end right back up on the kit car.

When I tell a non-car person about the build, which is usually the result of them overhearing a car guy to car guy conversation, I go into witness on the witness stand mode.  “Did I hear you say you are building a car in your garage”?  “Yes”.  “Wow, you really know how to do that?”  “Maybe.”  “Why are you doing it?”  “Because I want to.”  “What’s it like?”  “It’s like golf, but fun.” 

Okay, nobody really asks that last question, but the others have come up several times.  The real question that is plainly obvious is why the hell am I explaining to and reasoning with those that get it while giving one word and sentence fragment answers to those that would benefit from explanations?  I don’t really know why.  Maybe it’s because people pick and choose hobbies for how those hobbies make them feel.  It’s hard to get excited and be passionate about telling something to someone who doesn’t share those same feelings and excitement. 


Usually I warm up and start answering questions with full sentences.  Sometimes those sentences even include inflection.  Occasionally I offer up information without inquiry like “the entire car’s running gear is based on a Mazda Miata.”  To which they often say “oh”.  That’s when I say “if you leave now you can still get in 18 this afternoon.”