Wednesday, March 5, 2014

MGB in Socal

I was in Los Angeles a few weeks back.  I always enjoy going to LA.   Not just because it’s the land of the automobile but because I love seeing my name listed as the 34th individual on the first class upgrade list.  Thirty fourth.   The only thing good about being 34th is not being 35th.  Of course the guy in 33rd is saying the same thing about me.  Anyway.

Los Angeles truly is the land of the car.  In less than ten miles after picking up the rental car I saw a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari 458 and half a dozen Porsches.  I once read a third of the world’s 911s reside in southern California.  I have no reason to doubt this claim, and in fact have anecdotal evidence to support it (the aforementioned six Porsches in ten miles).  During this trip it wasn't one of the many expensive cars that caught my attention.  No, it was mid ‘70s orange MGB heading north bound on the 405 in morning rush hour traffic.

If I had to list five cars manufactured in the past 50 years that I absolutely wouldn’t want to be driving in Los Angeles morning commute traffic I think the plastic bumper MGB would likely make the list.  It’s not that I don’t like MGBs, I do.  I just don’t trust them.  Nobody should trust them.  Not as reliable transportation anyway.  As a fun, top down, smile inducing car to drive within a eight mile radius of your house on a Sunday preceding a week where you absolutely don’t have to be anywhere until Tuesday; they’re fantastic. 

So, to the woman driving this MGB, my hat is off to you.  

You are clearly a bigger car enthusiast than I.  That or your Honda was in the shop.